Our guest today is a Time magazine Hero of the Environment who at age 16 raised money for the Rainforest Action Network and at 17 “lived in Nicaragua to show solidarity with the Sandinista socialist revolution.” But our guest, author Michael Shellenberger, isn’t your typical Bill McKibben or Bernie Sanders type: He is a campaigner for the environmental benefits of nuclear energy through his group Environmental Progress and just released a new book, San Fransicko: Why Progressives Ruin Cities criticizing how radical-left approaches to criminal justice and homelessness have battered the Bay Area.
Ken Braun, who joins today’s conversation reviewed both San Fransicko and Shellenberger’s previous book, Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All for Capital Research Center; Shellenberger joins us to discuss his theses.
- San Fransicko: Why Progressives Ruin Cities
- Apocalypse Never: Why Environmental Alarmism Hurts Us All
- Capital Research Center: “Pathological Altruism” May Kill a City Near You
- Capital Research Center: Antidote for “Apocalyptic Environmentalists”
- The Economist: A cautionary tale from the streets of San Francisco
- InfluenceWatch: American Civil Liberties Union