In an op-ed at National Review, CRC’s Research Director Mike Watson raised serious questions about the agenda and ultimate goal of the ostensibly conservative group American Compass, led by Oren Cass, who is promoting a conservative embrace of unions while taking a great deal of money from lefty funders like the Hewlett Foundation and the Omidyar Network. The piece was in response to a Wall Street Journal op-ed penned by Cass back in September in which he argued that a reformed version of unionism is in line with Republican values. Mike expressed his skepticism, and Cass expressed his displeasure on social media.
- National Review (Michael Watson): Does American Compass Point Left?
- Wall Street Journal (Oren Cass): America Needs a Conservative Labor Movement
- InfluenceWatch: American Compass
- National Review: The ‘Redistributionist Right’ Would Strengthen Unions to Workers’ Detriment
- Capital Research Center: I Do Not Want the NewsGuild Bargaining for Me, Ever
- RealClearMarkets: Voluntary Unionism Is the Answer, Not One-Size Fits All National Bargaining