Federal law prohibits foreign nationals, except holders of permanent resident (or “green card”) status, from making political contributions in federal elections. But foreign billionaires are free to spend whatever they like on news organizations and advocacy groups that otherwise influence American public policy, and that brings us to Swiss billionaire Hansjoerg Wyss, the major environmentalist donor who just dropped a bid to buy the Chicago Tribune and turn the paper into a clone of the Washington Post, another national-level liberal propaganda outlet. But a funny thing happened on the way to a Midwestern #Resistance media outlet: the New York Times exposed Wyss’s agenda and he dropped his bid for the Tribune. Joining me to discuss Wyss, the brouhaha, and Wyss’s other projects is my colleague Hayden Ludwig.
- The New York Times: Top Bidder for Tribune Newspapers Is an Influential Liberal Donor
- Capital Research Center: Meet the Swiss Billionaire Behind Arabella Advisors’ “Dark Money” Empire
- InfluenceWatch: Hansjoerg Wyss
- InfluenceWatch: Wyss Foundation
- InfluenceWatch: The Hub Project
- InfluenceWatch: Berger Action Fund